Popular Scotch single malt whisky distillery Glenfiddich recently announced the American launch of its premium Time Re:Imagined collection, consisting of expressions aging 30 years and above.
The Time Re:Imagined collection, according to those behind it, includes the Glenfiddich 30-Year-Old, 40-Year-Old and 50-Year-Old, pricing at $1,299, $4,600 and $50,000, respectively. Each offering is said celebrate “moments of time relative to their production.”
“In whisky production, we often talk about the role of Malt Masters, and it is our responsibility to find the delicate balance between the taste of the whisky and the intensity of the oak cask,” said Brian Kinsman, Malt Master, Glenfiddich, in a prepared statement. “But we don’t always acknowledge how each cask, each bottle, is absolutely unique because of the time it has spent maturing.
“Both nature and time play huge roles in making whisky taste like it does, and Glenfiddich’s Time Re:Imagined pays homage to this process and the exquisite liquid both time helps to create.”
In preparing the rarest of the three expressions, the 50-Year-Old, whiskies from three different American Oak refill casks, all matured in the same warehouse, were married together and finished in an American Oak refill cask for two years. There are only 220 decanters for this particular Scotch.
More official details on each, including tasting notes, are presented below. It should be noted as well all three whiskies are presented in what’s described as “artistically developed outer packaging.”
Time Re:Imagined Product Details (Tasting Notes + Packaging Information):
Glenfiddich 30-Year-Old (Aged 30 Years – 43% ABV)
- Color: Rich bronze
- Nose: An exquisitely structured balance of hearty oak married with sweet, subtle sherry notes
- Taste: Deep, woody flavors interlaced with delicate floral accents, in a complex combination
- Finish: Warm, honeyed and exceptionally long-lasting
- Suspended Time: The 30-Year-Old depicts the moment when Brian Kinsman, Glenfiddich’s Malt Master, suspends the whisky’s maturation to bottle it, capturing the whisky at the precise moment in time, a perfect expression, preserved for all eternity.
- Packaging: The outer packaging design showcases moving ribbons, each one frozen to form elegant cut-out windows, revealing the regal decanter inside. With the moment of maturation captured in all its splendor, the dynamic lines and complex structure create an illusion that the bottle is suspended effortlessly, in mid-air, suspended in time.
- SRP: $1,299.00
Glenfiddich 40-Year-Old (Aged 40 Years – 44.6% ABV)
- Color: Dark mahogany
- Nose: A deeply layered expression of dried fruits, dark chocolate, roasted coffee and ripe black cherries – completed with subtle waves of gentle wood smoke, polished leather and cloves
- Taste: A luxuriously full and silky smooth taste, with memories of past releases in every nuanced note; Evolving from deep dried fruit notes to rich fruitcake, dates, raisins and stewed apples, before giving way to dry oaky notes, with subtle hints of bitter chocolate and peat
- Finish: Complex, memorable, and exquisitely long-lasting
- Cumulative Time: The 40-Year-Old is a bold, maverick representation of remnant vatting – a pioneering process, only used by Glenfiddich’s Distillery, where the remnants of the previous batch are carried over and married with the casks selected for each subsequent release.
- Packaging: The outer packaging design brings layers of transforming flavors to life with a bold and maverick take on a geological metamorphosis. The decanter is housed in a stunning sculptural container and stopper made from jesmonite – a material with individual characteristics that render every piece completely unique. The vessel truly embodies the evolution of one thing becoming another, with dramatic grooves carved into the stone-like material, that expose the intertwining veins flowing through it.
- SRP: $4,600.00
Glenfiddich 50-Year-Old (Aged 50 Years – 43.8% ABV)
- Color: Antique gold
- Nose: Rich orange peel and clementine meet complex notes of Madeira cake and muscovado sugar; Scents mature over time into the dewy petrichor of a Dufftown morning, mingling with flowering geranium
- Taste: A lingering sweetness softens into deep, silky smooth oak tannin and sun-dried vanilla
- Finish: Oaky, sweet and incredibly long lasting
- Simultaneous Time: The 50-Year-Old explores complex conditions that have influenced the whisky, including air pressure, temperature and humidity, as the nature of maturation changes alongside these conditions. Hot summers speed up the maturation process and cold winters slow it down – dramatically affecting the outcome of the liquid and lending itself to the whisky’s unique taste.
- Packaging: The outer casing is an artistic representation of the climatic data that created this extraordinary whisky. Manuel Jiménez García, a computational architect, decrypted the meteorological data into an algorithm, and generated a physical design language to build the structure’s bespoke form – bringing life to every second of every day, of every month of those 50 years.
- SRP: $50,000.00