The following is a summary of the June 2023 meeting of your American Homebrewers Association Governing Committee (GC).
GC Members Present: Matt Bolling, Sandy Cockerham, Shawn Cormier, Chris Hummert, Annie Johnson, Jill Marilley, Amy Martin, Melissa McCann, Gail Milburn, Doug Piper, Goose Steingass, Roxanne Westendorf.
AHA Staff: Dave Carpenter, Julia Herz, J Jackson-Beckham, Bob Pease, Bart Watson.
Facilitated by meeting moderator Shannon Flynn Bevers. This was the annual in-person meeting of the GC.
Topics covered included:
- Top-of-mind items shared by all:
- Purpose of GC, communication gaps and opportunities, recommendations, discussion on political vs. social action/human justice issues, process and procedures, GC history and AHA staff evolution, the structure of BA/AHA committee and subgroups, the difference between Executive Subcommittee member roles and full GC member roles, status of homebrewing and the state of retailers.
- AHA June presentation to BA Board of Directors.
- Upcoming GC Bylaws review by BA Governance Committee.
- 2024 Homebrew Con and National Homebrew Competition.
- Review of recent AHA accomplishments. Current include:
- Addition of Zymurgy Live, Club Officer Bootcamp, Industry Coalition meeting, homebrew workshops at HBC, AHA on BA DEI Committee, Club model code of conduct, succession-based communication in Basecamp, Launch of Home Fermentation Day, return of first-round NHC judging in 2023, 30+ HBC sessions, evaluation and awarding of annual recognition awards, GC/Exec and Events and Education Subcommittee charters, placement of new GC members on BA board, transition to new GC Chair and more.
- Updated AHA external mission
- From: Dedicated to promoting the community of homebrewers and empowering homebrewers to make the best beer in the world.
- To: Dedicated to protecting, uniting, and educating homebrewers while empowering an equitable homebrewing culture and showcasing the fun of fermenting.
- Outlined a path to be completed before a subcommittee or working group can be formed.
- Paused the 2023 election.
- Established chair/co-chair training to formalize workflow, accountability, and communications.
- The formal creation of GC and subgroup charters and missions:
- Governing Committee Supports the health of the American Homebrewers Association and homebrewing. Responsible for: Subcommittee and working group work of the AHA; Advising the AHA Executive Subcommittee, Executive Director, and BA Board; Ensuring AHA member resources fit with member needs.
- Executive Subcommittee, The lead steering group, to prioritize issues for the full GC and represent the GC to the Executive Director and BA Board.
- Events and Education Subcommittee: Bring together AHA member leaders to provide input and support for AHA-driven events, educational offerings, and sponsorship/support from outside organizations to increase member value and retention.
- Competition Working Group: Provide input and support to execute the world’s largest and most respected homebrew competition that appeals to the broadest amount of homebrewers.
- Industry Working Group: Connect industry members, and AHA members to provide industry insight and support and align industry resources with AHA membership needs to ensure mutual benefit.
- Homebrew Con Seminar Working Group: Guide the seminars at HBC based on what AHA members believe are the most critical issues and topics for the homebrewing community that year.
- Explanation of BA/AHA Code of Conducts and AHA members not having a code of conduct that applies beyond events.
The post AHA Governing Committee Meeting Summary: June 2023 appeared first on American Homebrewers Association.